No, I haven't lost my mind.
It is possible to health up this classic comfort food food.
And no, it doesn't taste like cardboard.
That's thanks to chicken broth, smoked paprika, and my secret ingredient: nonfat plain Greek Yogurt. I'm posting this recipe here so that it can go with my healthy (and delicious) version of the classic Shepherd's Pie. But these mashed potatoes are an easy and healthy treat perfect for any night.
Healthy Mashed Potatoes with Smoked Paprika
Serves 6-8 people
Cooking time: about 30 minutes
- 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 (6 oz.) carton of nonfat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Place the potatoes and the stock in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for about fifteen minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the potatoes from the pot and preserve the stock. Place the potatoes into a bowl with the yogurt and paprika. Add in some of the stock and mash them to desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Enjoy!