What a fun weekend!
Not only did we have amazing weather (lower '80's and gloriously sunny—sorry East Coasters!), but my in-laws came into town for a nice visit. We had indulgent meals at Lou on Vine, Bouchon, Ray's (at LACMA—my new favorite place), and finally Pace. I think we'll all need a detox this week!
I did make us a lovely brunch at my house in the canyon, cooking up a simple feast of Raisin Walnut Spiced Muffins (recipe coming shortly) and a Veggie Frittata with Feta Cheese, using ingredients purchased at my local farmers market. Usually, I just stock up on everything that looks fabulous, and then figure out what to with it once I get home (I'm on my way there shortly...).
This fritatta combined some of my favorite vegetables—lacinato kale (I try to sneak this into any recipe that I can); jumbo asparagus (just materialized last week at the market); sweet cherry tomatoes (still coming in strong in California). The finishing touch was some fresh goat's milk feta cheese, also from one of my vendors at the market. Likewise, the eggs were procured from one of my local farmers.
I cooked the frittata in my cast iron skillet (which was only $20, and is one of my favorite pans). I started it stove top, and then moved it into the oven, before finishing it under the broiler.
I served the frittata with some homemade Raisin Walnut Spiced Muffins (made with whole grains and raisins also from one of my farmers). The resulting feast was simple, yet delicious and satisfying. I served the frittata directly out of my cast iron skillet, which looked lovely and rustic on the table.
Veggie Frittata with Feta Cheese
Serves 4-6 people
Cooking time: about 20 minutes
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups kale, thinly chopped
- 2 cups or 1 bunch asparagus, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, and saute for one minute.
- Add the asparagus and kale, stirring to combine. Continue to cook until the vegetables are beginning to soften.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a bowl and beat until the yolks and whites are mixed together and the entire mixture is slightly frothy. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the cast iron skillet over the vegetables. Place the halved cherry tomatoes cut side up on top of the egg mixture, gently pressing them down.
- Top with the crumbled feta, a little salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Continue cooking stove top until the frittata begins to set.
- Finish the frittata under the broiler. Enjoy!
Source for Ingredients
- lacinato kale, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, garlic, thyme, eggs, and goat's milk feta cheese from the West Hollywood Farmers Market
Post a Comment